Worthing Football Club worthingfc.com

Match Centre
Worthing FC
Mackerel Men bow out of FA Cup at West Humble

Mackerel Men bow out of FA Cup at West Humble

Despite leading early in the second half Worthing fell to a sixth straight defeat and exited this season’s FA Cup in the process as Dorking Wanderers ran out 3-2 winners.

James Frasers goal five minutes into the second half saw Gary Elphick’s men lead a game for the first time all season however the joy didn’t last long and Wanderers were level just eight minutes later before Matt Briggs’ stunning strike won it for the Surrey-based side.

Elphick gave a debut to defender Elan Assiana, a free agent who was released by Charlton Athletic in the summer.

Once again the visitors started poorly and conceded the opening goal within the first 10 minutes for the fourth time in six matches this season. Poor marking from a set piece allowed Wanderers’ defender David Ray the chance to stoop and head his side in front with just six minutes played.

A well worked goal just before the half-hour drew Worthing level though. Ross Edwards did well to release Fraser who squared for Zack Newton to turn home from close range.

Newton returned the favour early in the second period, initially doing well to dispossess a Dorking defender before laying the ball across the box to Fraser, via a neat dummy by Ben Pope – Fraser steadied himself before firing into the roof of the net.

Hopes were raised for a first win of the season however the hosts levelled almost immediately, a long throw caused confusion in the Worthing box with the ball eventually falling to Isaac Philpott who finished emphatically.

The turnaround was complete ten minutes later, Briggs picking the ball up on the touchline before cutting inside and unleashing an unstoppable drive past Lucas Covolan.

Elphick gambled and made three changes shortly after, including the return to action of Harvey Sparks but Wanderers were able to see out the remaining twenty minutes to book a place in Monday’s draw for the second qualifying round.

As a result of the defeat as well as Staines Town’s exit from the competition at the hands of Metropolitan Police, the league fixture with The Swans scheduled for Saturday 16th September will go ahead as planned. The venue for this fixture is subject to whether the club can return to Woodside Road in time while Bognor Regis Town’s FA Cup draw will also have to be considered. An announcement will be made in due course.

Related News