Worthing Football Club worthingfc.com

Match Centre
Sam Skilton
Worthing surrender lead to slip to 2-1 defeat against league leaders

Worthing surrender lead to slip to 2-1 defeat against league leaders

Worthing surrendered a second half lead to slip to a 2-1 defeat against Bostik Premier Division leaders Hendon on Saturday.

The hosts had the better chances throughout the contest and Alfie Young shocked Hendon early in the second half when he fired in the opener.

But Worthing were wasteful and they were made to pay when Niko Muir produced a 72nd minute equaliser and substitute Joshua Walker grabbed a late winner.

The result leaves them rooted to the bottom of the table and nine points adrift with closest rivals Tooting and Mitcham United beating Tonbridge Angels.

Hendon had the advantage of a strong wind in the first half and came closest to scoring in the early stages when Matthew Ball flashed a shot across the face of goal.

At the other end Alex Parson, playing his first match since making his switch from Bognor Regis Town permanent, struck the side netting from an offside position.

Five minutes later Jazz Rance’s cross found Parsons at the far post but Hendon goalkeeper Tom Lovelock diverted his effort over the bar.

Worthing’s defence looked wobbly throughout the first half in the tough conditions, but the visitors struggled to create clear cut chances and Hendon failed to capitalise.

In the 27th minute it was Reece Meekums who could have opened the scoring, but he was unable to control Rance’s through ball and Lovelock rushed out to thwart.

The hosts started the second half brightly and took the lead in the 53rd minute when Young found space to unleash into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

Worthing almost doubled their advantage in the 66th minute but Reece Hallard’s six-yard effort from Jazz Rance’s corner was cleared off the line by Samuel Murphy.

Three minutes later Henry Watson’s defence splitting pass sent Parsons through on goal but he shot straight at Lovelock who was out quickly to block with his foot.

Worthing surrendered their lead in the 72nd minute when Jake Eggleton crossed to Niko Muir who diverted past Covolan against the run of play.

The hosts pressed for a winner and seven minutes before the end Meekums’ close range attempt was blocked and Keiron Pammant blasted over on the follow up.

Despite matching their opponents for the majority of the game, Worthing were made to pay when Kezie Ibe teed up fellow substitute Joshua Walker to score in the 87th minute.

Worthing: Covolan, Young, Cadman, Hallard, Watson (c), Ovenden, Parsons (Williamson 77’), Pammant, Meekums, Rance, Sparks.

Subs Not Used: Boiling, Wrightman, Rents, Schneider.

Goal: Young 53’.

Hendon: Lovelock, Eggleton, Murphy, Diedniou, Gray, Lee (c), Cole (Ibe 70’), Ball, Joseph (Walker 79’), Muir, Uchechi (Nathaniel George 79’).

Subs Not Used: Sprague, Corcoran.

Goals: Muir 72’, Walker 87’.

Booked: Cole 41’

Attendance: 614