Worthing Football Club worthingfc.com

Match Centre
Sam Skilton
Late Boro’ leveller denies Worthing vital three points

Late Boro’ leveller denies Worthing vital three points

Worthing threw away what had looked likely to be their third league win of the season as Harrow Borough’s Ryan Moss snatched a 97th minute equaliser.

After a drab first half the game had sprung into life in the 51st minute when Shaun Preddie fired in at the far post from a corner to give Borough the lead.

It only lasted four minutes though as Alfie Young turned in to equalise for the hosts, and in the 80th minute substitute Jimmy Wild rose highest to complete the comeback.

Ten minutes of stoppage time were played and in the 97th minute Ryan Moss fired in from an indirect free-kick in the hosts’ penalty area to snatch a point for Harrow.

Worthing’s new signing Jesse Starkey, who joined on a one month loan deal from Gillingham on Friday, went straight into the starting line-up in place of Reece Hallard.

The hosts made a bright start when Harvey Sparks’ deflected shot rolled inches wide of the post in the second minute, but after that they took a while to settle into the match.

Darren Budd struggled to cope with Harrow’s high pressing game and his bad touch enabled Bajram Pashaj to steal in but he curled just wide after surging into the box.

Five minutes later Lucas Covolan was called into action for the first time as he made a solid save to deny Pashaj after Budd had conceded possession again.

Worthing made a rare entry into the Harrow penalty area after the half hour mark when Jazz Rance beat a couple of defenders and forced Minter to tip over the bar.

The game sprung into life at the start of the second half when Kurtis Cumberbatch’s corner found Preddie at the far post and the Harrow defender fired in from close range.

Within four minutes the hosts were level though when Minter could only palm Budd’s fierce shot into the path of Young who turned in on the rebound from six yards.

The chances flowed for Worthing after the equaliser, Kieron Pamment acrobatically striking over the bar before Ben Pope headed over from Sam Rents’ free-kick.

Worthing failed to capitalise on their period of ascendancy and Harrow nearly retook the lead when Michael Bryan’s shot with the outside of his boot clipped the post.

In the 78th minute Minter was called into action again when Sparks’ powerful, swerving drive forced him to parry to safety.

Two minutes later Wild rose highest to Rents’ free-kick to head beyond Minter and register his first goal since joining the club from Bognor Regis Town.

Following the goal there was an eight minute delay caused by a serious injury to Omartayo Coker before the start.

Harrow had chances to make it 2-2 during ten minutes of stoppage time with Moss heading wide from Cumberbatch’s cross.

Worthing looked likely to hold on until the 97th minute when Covolan conceded an indirect free-kick in his box after being warned for failing to release the ball within six seconds.

The hosts set up an eight man wall, but Moss blasted through the red shirts into the bottom corner as it finished 2-2.

Worthing: Covolan, Colbran, Rents, Budd, Starkey, Young, Meekums, Pamment, Pope (c) (Wild 67’), Rance (Watson 90), Sparks.

Subs Not Used: Schneider, O’Sullivan, Mott.

Goals: Young 55’, Wild 80’.

Booked: Covolan 90’.

Harrow Borough: Minter, Moore, Soganile, Coxer, Ujah, Preddie, Bamya (McLeod 74’), Cumberbatch, Moss, Bryan, Pashaj (Stanislaus 74’).

Subs Not Used: Taylor, Beggs.

Goals: Preddie 51’, Moss 90’.

Booked: Preddie 54’, Cumberbatch 60’, Bryan 90’.

Attendance: 592

Related News