FA Trophy Sat 10 November The Crucial Environmental Stadium
  • Ajiboye (18')

The slightly dubious dismissal of Sam Rents, shortly before half-time, mean’t that The Reds were forced to play the second period a man light and , while the visitors had chances to salvage at least a replay, their hosts kept them at bay, while also threatening The General’s goal on a few occasions.

Manager, Adam Hinshelwood was forced into making changes to Tuesday’s team, with the loan duo of Zack Newton and Reece Myles-Meekums unavailable under the terms of their temporary registrations but, no doubt, encouraged by the return to fitness of Joel Colbran. Captain, Darren Budd also came back in, with Joe Clarke on the bench and both Callum Kealy and Ricky Aguiar were in the starting eleven, as Rhyle Ovenden took his seat amongst the replacements.

A fairly quiet start to the game saw few early chances, however, David Ajiboye was presented with a clear opportunity after five minutes but could only stab his attempt into the grateful hands of Ben Goode.

Two minutes later and our leading scorer found himself in space on the right-hand side of the penalty area, from a Sam Rents corner, where he returned the ball to whence it came, only for the left-back to send his effort wide of the target.

We’d almost reached the halfway point in the opening forty-five, when Jesse Starkey made room on the left wing and sent in an inch-perfect cross for Ajiboye to power home an unmarked header, at the far post.

After more than half-an-hour had passed, Chesham finally made their first significant contribution to the afternoon’ proceedings, as Dave Pearce found himself in space, on the far side of the box, to take down Jefferson Louis’s delivery but stroked his shot back across the face of goal and past the far post, for a goal-kick.

That seemed to wake up The Boys from Bucks, as moments later, Eoin Casey got away down the right and flashed in a low cross that missed everyone and went out of play for a throw-in.

The Southern League visitors continued to attack at will, with Louis turning and firing over the bar, followed by Ryan Blake placing another effort wide, as the eleven men looked to make their now one man advantage count.

Callum Kealy was high, wide and not so handsome, with the final say of the half.

The ten men nearly doubled their advantage at the start of the second period, when David Sota headed Starkey’s floated free-kick against his own crossbar.

Before Kleton was called into action by Pearce, shooting from twenty yards but, straight into the arms of the grateful goalie.

United’s number seven was in the thick of the action again, as he sent his free-kick over the wall and, the bar, with former Rebel, Louis, teeing-up Casey, who’s low drive was kept out by a diving Perntpeoy.

Pearce and Casey then linked up, as the fromer’s flag-kick was back-headed against the near post, by the latter.

Pearce, proving to be a real menace, sent a shot over the framework until Harry Pearse went closer, forcing a good save out of KP, after Louis had slipped him in.

The pace of Blake on the left-flank lead to Louis, this time, being denied by an excellent one-handed save from our one-time Crystal Palace custodian, as the away side upped the tempo, in their pursuit of parity.

Kleton was out quickly to claim a catch after a Louis free-kick had looped up off the defensive wall and been sent back in to the danger zone.

With fifteen minutes to go, James Crane came within millimetres of putting the tie to bed, when he could only watch his header crash against the crossbar and the subsequent follow-up from Danny Barker, acrobatically beaten away by Goode. The third and final attempt ending up in Woodside Road, via the boot of substitute, Joe Clarke.

Jerri Maja, only just on for Casey, had Worthing hearts in mouths, with his turn and shot nearly sending the game to a replay and, in the final minute of the ninety, Pearse put his free-kick wide.

Jazz Rance had one last go at completing the scoring, as the last few seconds of stoppage time ticked away, showing a clean pair of heels to the Chesham back-line and making Goode live up to his name once more, by preventing the winger from recreating Tuesday’s match-clinching strike.