Isthmian Premier Division Sat 17 October Hartsdown Park
  • Afrane-Kesey (29')
  • Diallo (40')
  • Aguiar (45')
  • Golding (54')

Match Report: Gareth Nicholas

The visitors started the game with the same eleven that finished last week’s win against Bowers & Pitsea, meaning a place on the bench for Leon Moore alongside the returning Darren Budd and new signings, Danny Pappoe and Mo Jammeh.

An early ball across the penalty area by debutant Richard Afrane-Kesey had no takers, after Archie Burnett had sent a long pass from left to right to him.

Reece Myles-Meekums played in Danny Barker inside the box but he could only flash narrowly wide.

Home keeper Bailey Vose produced an impressive save to prevent Dayshonne Golding from finding the net from twenty yards, although it was the hosts who would go in front moments later.

It was almost the other way around when Myles-Meekums twisted and turned in the area, allowing Ollie Pearce to tee-up Mo Diallo, but Vose got there again to deny the in-form striker.

From that chance, Margate broke and once more Burnett picked out Afrane-Kesey, this time in the box, and the Charlton Athletic loanee drilled across Roco Rees into the opposite side of the net.

The Reds’ attempts to hit straight back initially centered around two free-kicks. The first was fired over by Pearce, and a second one shortly after also going the same way via the boot of Ricky Aguiar and the crossbar.

Then, six minutes shy of the break, Worthing had their equaliser. A rampaging Pearce battled his way through a series of blue shirts on the left; breaking into the area to locate Diallo who had time to compose himself before rifling home.

Golding nearly struck just after; he was the recipient of a right wing run and cross by Myles-Meekums that led to him stabbing past the post.

A typical, inch-perfect pass from the half-way line by Joel Colbran was held up and laid off by Pearce to Myles-Meekums, whose low delivery ended up marginally over the top from Golding.

In first-half stoppage time Vose beat away Jasper Pattenden’s effort following a classy backheel by Golding but Myles-Meekums recovered the ball and his subsequent delivery left Aguiar able to sweep home near the back stick and put Worthing ahead.

A by now dominant away side extended their advantage not long into the second period. Pearce was involved again, as he had plenty of time and space to present Golding with a simple tap-in.

Pattenden and Pearce linked up for the latter to lay the ball back to Aguiar which led to Vose pulling off another fine low stop, but the danger wasn’t cleared until home captain Ben Swift headed Ollie’s header off the line.

A first-time shot by Golding saw him drill the wrong side of the upright, after a deep Pattenden cross from the left at the end of a run to the byline.

Marvin Arnstrong led a quick counter-attack to set up yet another opportunity for Golding, via Diallo, only for the target to evade him again.

Complacency threatened to allow Margate a way back into the contest with twenty minutes to go as a loose pass from Aguiar gave Reece Prestedge a sight of goal, only for substitute Daniel Pappoe to slide in and block, with Colbran denying replacement Freddy Moncur a second bite.

Barker then lost possession to Afrane-Kesey, but his right flank delivery flew over everyone and the visitors could breathe again.

Mo Jammeh, on in place of Pearce, had a great chance to put the game to bed when Myles-Meekums slipped him in and left him to bear down on the keeper. Unfortunately he couldn’t test Vose, dragging his attempt wide.

The Gate number one added to his repertoire of top-drawer saves by keeping out Golding, one-handed, less than a minute later. The forward had pounced on a loose ball in the box and fired in a snapshot, but Vose was equal to it.

Moncur had one final effort for a well-beaten home team but scuffed his shot straight at Rees.