Isthmian Premier Division Tue 27 October Pakex Stadium
Potters Bar
  • Charles (28')
  • Koroma (72', 86')

Second half goals from recent signing Omar Koroma cancelled out an opener from Ken Charles in the 28th minute to steal all three points at the LA Construction stadium.

The first chance fell to Worthing in the second minute, when Ricky Aguiar shot from distance produced a save from Scholars keeper Fred Burbidge whose parry feel to Mo Diallo, who shot only for the keeper to get back to his feet to beat away.

In the fourth minute, Ken Charles reached the area for Potters Bar before cutting in and shooting, but Roco Rees got down quickly to his left to save his deflected effort.

A fast-paced start to the match produced little clear-cut chances for either side until Potters Bar’s Franc Silinou played through Charles clean-through on goal, who rounded Rees and passed the ball into an empty net to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Worthing almost found an equaliser five minutes from half time when Jasper Pattenden floated a deep cross into Meekums, who then crossed back in towards Koroma lurking in the six-yard box but he could only put his header wide of Burbidge’s goal meaning the home side led at the interval.

The second half saw a sharper Worthing take to the field, almost drawing level in the 53rd minutes when a free kick taken from Meekums found its way to Aguiar, whose deflected shot fell through to Danny Barker but the linesman instantly raised his flag before he could muster an effort.

On the hour mark, manager Adam Hinshelwood replaced Mo Diallo and Jasper Pattenden with Dajon Golding and Jesse Starkey, and Golding almost made an immediate impact when the ball fell to him in the area only to be denied the equaliser by a fantastic save from Burbidge.

Worthing piled on the pressure and got their reward in the 72nd minute when a cross in from Golding found Koroma in the area, who nodded home to put the Reds back on level terms.

Potters Bar continued to threaten on the break and almost went back in front when a shot from left-back Joe Payne required tipping over from Rees.

The subsequent corner again called the Worthing keeper into action, beating away a header to keep the score level.

Worthing continued to probe and almost went ahead when a Jesse Starkey free-kick was parried by Burbidge, before Ollie Pearce could only fire the rebound into the side netting.

In the 84th minute, Joel Colbran fizzed the ball across the face of goal, but Golding couldn’t quite connect his volley on target.

With time seemingly running out for either side to grab a winner, a corner for Worthing was swung in by Starkey and not cleared to safety by Potters Bar.

After a brief goalmouth scramble, the ball fell to Koroma inside the six-yard box, who bundled it home to turn the game on its head give Worthing their fourth consecutive league win.

The Mackerel Men are next in action in the FA Trophy first qualifying round on Saturday away to Leiston of the Southern Central Premier Division.