Isthmian Premier Division Sat 10 October The Camping World Community Stadium
  • Diallo (51', 85')
Bowers & Pitsea
  • Knott (19')

Despite Billy Knot putting the visiting side 1-0 up at half-time converting a penalty merely moments after Ollie Pearce struck the post with a spot kick, two goals from substitute Mo Diallo in the second half helped the Reds leapfrog Bowers into top spot after five games.

Chances were hard to come by for either side until the 15th minute of the match, when Ricky Aguiar found Jasper Pattenden with a pass who then drove into the area and was brought down by George Wind giving the referee no choice but to point to the penalty spot.

Ollie Pearce stepped up and smacked the base of the post, before Cameron Tutt dragged down James Thomas for a spot-kick at the opposite end a minute later.

Roco Rees got a hand to Knott’s take, but couldn’t prevent it from hitting the back of the net and putting the visitors 1-0 up.

Bowers had the chance to double their lead with two opportunities in quick succession, when a loose pass from Pattenden set up Dan Trendell who raced through one-on-one, but his effort was brilliantly saved by Rees, who got up quickly to deny Max Cornhill’s rebound.

Worthing responded well and almost found an equaliser through a strike from Ricky Aguiar in 33rd minute which hit the side netting.

On the stroke of half time, Diallo latched onto a loose ball before finding Pearce, who fired his shot beyond Joseph-Johnson but also the left-hand post to ensure the visitors remained 1-0 up at the interval.

The second half began with Worthing on the front foot, nearly drawing level after two minutes when Golding was slipped in by Pattenden, who produced a fine stop from Lamar Joseph-Johnson with Meekums hitting the rebound wide.

The hosts very nearly lived to rue those squandered opportunities when the ball fell to Max Cornhill inside the six-yard box, who fired beyond the advancing Rees but Danny Barker was on hand to head the chest the ball off the line and out for a corner.

Worthing continued to probe and nearly found a breakthrough when a long through ball from Joel Colbran was well brought down by Pearce, but saw his effort comfortably saved.

In the 51st minute, Bowers & Pitsea were seemingly in safe possession of the ball, until keeper Joseph-Johnson attempted to pass it out only for Golding to intercept.

The ball then fell to Mo Diallo, who passed it into an empty net to put Worthing on level terms.

The Mackerel Men began to dominate the game with Pattenden and Golding both having shots from the edge of the area going narrowly over the bar, before Pearce fired an effort which stung the palms of Joseph-Johnson.

Time looked to be running out for Worthing to find a winner, until the 85th minute when Meekums attempted to cut in from the right and into the penalty area.

The ball ended up falling loose inside the box, with James White attempting to smash the ball to safety for Bowers & Pitsea.

But his clearance slammed straight into the shin of Diallo, who saw his deflection fly past a helpless Joseph-Johnson, which proved enough to earn the Reds a victory in their first “home” game of the season.