Isthmian Premier Division Sat 11 December Taydal Stadium
Brightlingsea Regent
  • Pearce (29', 61')
  • Kealy (76')

Embarking on their furthest away game of the campaign, the aforementioned Mr. Kealy started the first match of his temporary return, meaning Will Seager, initially, sat on the bench with Pat Webber and Mo Jammeh in the only changes to the squad that battled to a point at Haringey.

A largely uneventful start brought little to cheer for either side as nearly half-an-hour had passed before the opening serious salvo was fired by the visitors.

Central Defender, Zack Littlejohn was penalized for bringing down a rampaging Pearce just outside the penalty area. The in-form forward dusted himself off and stepped up to beat the wall in front of him and goalkeeper Charlie Turner, from the resulting free-kick. Although Turner could consider himself unlucky as he got a hand to the ball but couldn’t quite keep it out.

Prior to that, an early edge-of-the-box sighter from Marvin Armstrong gave Turner a safe gathering and Danny Barker’s identical attempt met with an identical outcome. All inside ten, with the Blues enjoying the lion’s share of possession.

A short time later, one half of Regent’s brotherly double act, Carlos Cachicote Da Rocha played a pass over the top that saw Connor Barnby latch onto it but lob both glovesman Harrison Male and the goal frame, to leave the scoreline delicately balanced.

They almost extended their narrow advantage when Jesse Starkey’s left wing cross picked out Reece Myles-Meekums in the box, only for the tricky Meeky to stoop and head a good opportunity past the back stick.

The final action of the opening period resulted in Reece reprising his role as a creator; finding Kealy in amongst it as he swivelled and swiped over the crossbar inside the eighteen yard box.

Followed soon afterwards by Dajon Golding taking a touch to a Kealy cutback and winning a corner, thanks to a defensive deflection taking his shot behind.

We then had a case of cometh the hour, cometh the man; well, almost.

Barker threading through Pearce who drew a smart, low save out of Turner by his near post.

Fear not though as Ollie was merely warming up for the main course; dishing out a second to allow his team a bit more breathing space by applying the final finish to Aarran Racine’s downward header, close in. Starkey whipping in a flag-kick to tempt the Captain into rising highest and nodding goalwards.
Male then got his hands dirty when Cachicote Da Rocha once again linked up with Barnby to send the number nine scampering away, doing well to hold onto a powerful near post effort.

In response, the ball broke kindly for Barker to try his luck nineteen yards out, only for a goal- kick rather than a goal to be the final outcome.

Any lingering hopes the struggling hosts may have had of hauling themselves back into the contest evaporated, when Kealy marked his maiden start with his maiden strike since signing back on the dotted line, albeit briefly, at this stage.

Eighty showed on the metaphorical clock as Pearce and Myles-Meekums combined to devastating effect. The latter fizzing a low delivery across to Kealy, in the danger zone, to fire first time past Turner and put the result beyond doubt.

Pearce looked to pile on the misery by cutting in off the right flank and blasting towards the target, missing the far upright by a matter of inches.

Worthing remained relentless in their desire to attack and add to their tally.

Never demonstrated more admirably thanks to Kealy winning a fifty-fifty, in front of the main stand, with the R’s Luke Skinner and rapidly making his way to the byline then crossing into the penalty box, where his efforts were thwarted when the ball missed everyone as it went behind them all.

A harshly-awarded set-piece, for a perceived foul on the fleetingly-dangerous Cachicote Da Rocha, offered a beleaguered Brightlingsea a slight glimpse into their otherwise dark struggles in the Isthmian Prem, in the last offering of the afternoon.

Racine was the player feeling particularly hard done by, although not for long. Barnby lining one up and aiming for the top corner. Regrettably, however he skied his attempt over the net, the housing behind the goal and received a stearn stare from an innocent, passing seagull.