Isthmian Premier Division Sat 26 March Cheshunt Stadium
  • Pearce (8')
  • Seager (77')

Pat Webber moved up from the bench to replace the injured Luca Cocoracchio, which led to another spot amongst the subs for U18 Billy-George Fuller.

A near four-figure crowd were treated to an entertaining afternoon, both on and off the pitch, as the hosts fired the opening salvo when Reece Beckles-Richards’ left wing cross found former Red Zack Newton on the opposite flank. He sent the ball into the danger zone, where Harrsion Male collected Captain Joe Re’s header.

The visitors responded the only way they know how, by taking the lead against the in-form Ambers.

Reece Myles-Meekums threaded an inch-perfect through ball to Ollie Pearce on the right, who did the rest by slotting low beyond home ‘keeper Preston Edwards into the far bottom corner.

All that occurred inside the first ten minutes, with Cheshunt putting their guests under the cosh for the remainder of the half.

After Newton’s long throw was comfortably cleared by the Red’s rearguard, he then had the opportunity to round off some fine approach work, only to fire well wide from the edge of the area.

Zack’s attack might have failed to come to fruition but there was no doubting he was in the right place at the right time, to disperse Jasper Pattenden’s deposit into the mixer, when Worthing threatened on the counter.

An equaliser almost arrived via a huge kick downfield by Edwards that Male uncharacteristically fumbled, though, fortunately, Seager and Aarran Racine were there to mop up and maintain the slender advantage.

It then became the turn of the Male man to deliver, following a Webber header only diverting a ball in by Newton as far as a lurking Amadou Kassarate; the number four unleashing a venomous half-volley that required a two-handed tip over the bar.

Rowan Liburd also denied by the stopper moments later, as he too came close to breaking through the backline.

The Ambers did have the ball in the back of the net early in the second period, only for the assistant’s flag to rule out Adam Crowther’s headed effort, as he rose to meet Re’s floated free-kick.

A few minutes further on, Pattenden’s low cross needed the combination of Edwards and Chevron McLean to prevent Myles-Meekums putting some daylight between the teams.

Reds had rediscovered their rhythm and Callum Kealy soon latched onto a Taylor McKenzie backward glance to a long pass forward. His eventual byline ball picked out Meeky who saw his shot blocked by Kassarate.

Callum cut inside and had a go himself shortly afterwards, although Edwards had little trouble in holding his goalbound attempt.

The Hertfordshire hosts refused to lie down though, as they chased a place in the end-of-season play-offs.

Indeed, confidence was high after beating their South Coast travellers at The Crucial Environmental Stadium back in November. However, Beckles-Richards did the hard part in beating Racine in the box but followed it up with a wild swing that projected the ball past the top left-hand corner.

His next attempt came much closer to making up for the miss; crossing for Re on the right to ghost past Seager, only for the Skipper to strike the side netting.

Crowther’s afternoon would soon end prematurely after he felled Pearce, with the striker dispossessing the giant central defender just outside the area and, briefly, bearing down on goal.

Jesse Starkey’s subsequent set-piece flicked off the outside of the wall; leading to a flag-kick that would heap the pressure on an already trailing Cheshunt. Pattenden sent this one in and Seager powered home off his noggin to double the lead and put Worthing firmly in the driving seat.

Time was beginning to ebb away for the home team and seemed to pick up speed, after substitute Kayne Diedrick-Roberts drew cheers from the visiting masses, thanks to the ex-Bognor man driving the wrong side of the upright from the ‘d’.

The final throes saw an off-balance James Beresford drift inside McLean and shoot well off target, while Pearce tried his luck from distance but sadly, on this occasion, he was out of any.