National League South Thu 29 December Twerton Park
Bath City
  • Cox (57', 64')
  • Pearce (54')
  • Starkey (90+3')

In this rearranged fixture, Worthing had the first real chance. Ibrahim Akanbi was alert as he pounced on a lapse in concentration in the Bath back line, before sending through top scorer; Callum Kealy, whose scuffed effort was stopped by Josh Gould.

The away side dominated the lion’s share of possession early on, however that didn’t prevent Bath from creating chances themselves. Inform marksman: Scott Wilson, proved to be a handful in the opening half an hour; although none of his efforts troubled a composed Harrison Male.

The Rebels’ frontline of Akanbi; Kealy, and Ollie Pearce all scored last time out, in a thrilling 4-3 victory over Hampton & Richmond. Despite this, as the two sides headed into half time – with the game tied at 0-0, it was clear for everyone inside Twerton Park to see that creating chances wasn’t an issue for Hinshelwood or Gill’s sides. It was taking them!

It didn’t take long for Worthing’s deadly nature to kick back into gear in the second half. In the 54th minute, after being brought down on the edge of the penalty area, Pearce stepped up. The red’s number 10 struck home a rebounded effort; from the free-kick, first-time into the bottom corner for his sixth goal of the season.

City needed a response and found one just minutes later. Inspired by Pearce’s opener, The Black and White Army found a goal for themselves. Sonny Cox rounded Male before tucking the ball into an empty net, in front of a delighted home faithful.

Rejuvenated now, Bath asserted dominance and as the clock struck 61’ Male had to step up to deny Hayfield.

Two minutes later though, Male was picking the ball out of the back of his net. Bath took the lead as Cox scored his second, via the aid of a cruel deflection for Worthing.

Hinshelwood’s men didn’t let such a dramatic change in events get to their heads though, as they dusted themselves down and hunted for an equaliser.

First, Akanbi forced Gould into a flying save in the 67th minute, before Kealy agonisingly failed to hit the target – from close range four minutes later.

Injected by a double change, with Lewis White and Reece Myles-Meekums entering the field in the 74th minute … Worthing continued their pursuit of an equaliser and almost found it. Gould produced another fine stop to deny a smart effort from captain; Joel Colbran.

With 10’ minutes to go The Rebels had a huge chance from a free-kick. Pearce met Josh Chambers’ delivery with a header that looked destined for the far corner – had substitute Meekums not got in the way.

Minutes later, it seemed the game would be put out of the visitor’s site as Bath were awarded a penalty for a challenge from Dan Bowry on Cox.

Five-time goal scorer this season; Scott Wilson provided Worthing with a life-line as he stepped up from the spot and crashed his effort against the underside of the bar.

A heroic substitution in injury-time rescued a point for The Mackerel Men. Youngster: Ollie Starkey, came on for Kealy and stole in at the back post to send the travelling support into ecstasy in the dying embers.

Worthing rise to seventh and level on points with Eastbourne Borough, while Bath remain planted in 11th spot.