National League South Sat 4 March Arbour Park
Slough Town
  • Jackman (65')
  • Beresford (45+1')

The Reds came into the fixture after getting a hard-earned point away at Chippenham in midweek after going down to ten men following Mo Dabre’s red card. While their hosts Slough suffered a 3-0 defeat against Bath last time out.

Adam Hinshelwood shuffled the pack at Arbour Park, making five changes to the starting eleven that earned a battling point against the Bluebirds. Club captain Aarran Racine returned to the team along with Danny Barker, Reece Meekums and Lewis White.

Finlay Chadwick made his full debut for the Rebels, replacing the absent Kane Wills in midfield.

It was a quiet start to proceedings at Arbour Park in the contest between the two ‘Rebels’.

The Reds worked their way into the contest, with Josh Chambers and Ollie Pearce both hitting wide in the first 20 minutes.

Ogo Obi thought he had put the hosts in front just before the half-hour mark when he headed in, but the linesman’s flag was up for offside, and the goal was ruled out.

There was a moment of madness on 39 minutes. Just in front of the Worthing dugout, Joe Dandy clattered into James Beresford and was given his marching orders by referee Phillip Eddie.

He was soon followed down the tunnel by his teammate Elliot Benyon who, in the aftermath, was sent off for dissent and leaving the hosts with nine men.

The Reds used the extra space to their advantage and took the lead before the interval through a wonderful finish from Beresford who curled it into the top right corner from the edge of the area.

After his eventful finish to the first half, Beresford was forced off with an injury at half time and was replaced by Kyle O’Brien.

Despite the two-man advantage for the Reds, Slough worked the first chance of the half. Obi broke away on the counter-attack and forced a save from Harrison Male, low to his right.

Chadwick threatened for the Reds five minutes later when his swerving effort was saved by Will Dennis. Pearce picked up the rebound, but he was offside.

Slough’s plan was clear as they targeted Obi on the break time and time again. He forced two saves from Male on two separate counter-attacks before a third was deflected over from a corner.

The corner allowed Slough to pile forward despite their disadvantage in numbers, and from it, Johnny Goddard struck the bar with a volley before the follow-up was cleared off the line and out for a second corner by Joe Rye.

It was from the resulting corner that the hosts got the equaliser. The ball fell to Josh Jackman from the corner kick, and he struck it sweetly into the top left corner to get nine-man Slough back on level terms.

Hinshelwood responded instantly with a change, handing Callum Chesworth his Worthing debut by replacing Josh Chambers.

The young Reds outfit created plenty of chances in the final 20 minutes of the contest but never really troubled Dennis in the Slough net.

Chadwick had the chance to lob the keeper on 78 minutes but he pulled the effort wide.

White had the best chance to win it when Meekums cut back to him two minutes later, but the winger failed to hit the target.

A frustrating afternoon for the Reds who missed out on the chance to climb to third in the league table.

They’re on the road again on Tuesday as they head to Ebbsfleet to take on the league leaders at the Kuflink Stadium.