National League South Tue 25 April Cheshunt Stadium
  • Vincent (30')
  • Dabre (40')

Worthing made their third of four away trips in eight days after losing 3-2 at Taunton Town on the weekend but came into tonight’s clash needing just a point from their remaining two matches to secure a place in the play-offs.

Their hosts Cheshunt beat Bath City 2-1 last time out but knew that defeat against the Rebels would mean relegation for the Ambers.

Adam Hinshelwood was forced to drop Ollie Pearce to the bench after the forward sustained an injury in Somerset on Saturday. He was replaced by Dabre in the starting eleven, while Danny Barker returned in place of Joe Rye.

The first chance came to the Rebels some five minutes when Vincent whipped in a dangerous free-kick which fell to the feet of Joel Colbran inside the six-yard box, but he was denied by Adam Desbois who made himself big to make the stop.

The Rebels had the better of the opening 15 minutes and should have been 1-0 up when Reece Meekums squared to Davide Rodari. In acres of space in the box, the forward took a touch to compose himself but fired wide of the target.

On 26 minutes, the Reds were forced into making their first change after Barker pulled up, holding his hamstring – evidence of the Rebels’ heavy workload taking its toll. He was swapped with Dan Bowry.

Worthing got a deserved opener on the half-hour mark. Rodari’s dummy saw Vincent pick up the ball in plenty of room on the left side of the box. Without hesitation, the full-back fired in low across goal and all the way into the back of the net.

One became two just ten minutes later. Meekums capitalised on Raul Da Silva Fernandes’s slip at the back for the hosts and drove towards goal before laying Dabre on a plate to double the advantage – an advantage which the Reds took into the break.

Worthing’s dominance continued into the second half. The opening 15 minutes of which saw half chances for Colbran, Dabre and Jack Paxman, but all three were wide of the target.

On 66 minutes, Hinshelwood opted for the fresh legs of Suk-Jae Lee in place of Ibby Akanbi.

With relegation looming over the hosts, they looked like getting a goal back on 72 minutes but for a vital clearance from Dabre to deny Zech Obiero a chance at an empty net.

After that, the Rebels were largely untroubled and coasted home to secure their place in the play-offs and relegate their hosts in the process.

It’s a quick turnaround for the Rebels who turn their attention to the Sussex Senior Cup tomorrow night, taking on Hastings United at Lancing in the semi-final of the competition.