National League South Sat 23 September Gallagher Stadium
Maidstone Utd
  • Wanjau-Smith (15')
  • Amantchi (32', 55')
  • Graft (89')

The Stones took the lead after 15 minutes when Lucas Covolan’s long ball forward was flicked on by target man Levi Amantchi, sending through the in-form Sol Wanjau-Smith clear on goal. Roco Rees came out to close the angle but could not deny the forward as he fired home.

The Stones doubled their advantage on 32 minutes when Amantchi headed in from two yards. The ball was in the air for a while, with Roco Rees seemingly obstructed as he went to claim it but, despite Worthing’s best appeals, the goal stood.

Amantchi was there again to fire in a third for the hosts on 55 minutes. Lamar Reynolds delivered a low cross which Wanjau-Smith got a touch on but Amantchi took no prisoners in smashing it past Rees at his near post.

Things went from bad to worse for the Rebels as Odei Martin Sorondo received two yellow cards in the space of 60 seconds for dissent towards referee Oliver Mackey.

Razzaq Coleman De-Graft fired in a fourth shortly before the full-time whistle, with silky footwork to move the ball onto his right foot before firing in at the near post to mark a day to forget for Worthing in Kent.


It was a cagey start at Gallagher Stadium with no real chances inside the first quarter of an hour.

The Rebels created the first chance when Nicky Wheeler found room to cut inside from the left onto his right foot before curling his shot into the arms of former Worthing goalkeeper Covolan.

The Stones went straight up the other end to score their opening goal as the in-form Wanjau-Smth fired in after a long ball forward.

The Rebels worked their best two chances of the half on and around the half-hour mark. First, Wheeler’s low corner found the advancing Aarran Racine who stabbed at it but found the side-netting.

The best chance of the first 45 came soon after when Joel Colbran’s cross from deep found Danny Cashman unmarked in the box. Cashman wasn’t quite aware of the amount of time he had as he flicked his header at goal, with Covolan making the save.

But, it was the Stones who doubled their advantage two minutes later when Amantchi headed in from close range.

The pattern of play followed much the same, though, as the Stones hit number three ten minutes in. Amantchi was there to fire home his second of the match.

Looking to get a foothold in the match, Adam Hinshelwood replaced Joan Luque and Cashman with Greg Luer and Jake Robinson.

But, soon after, Worthing were reduced to ten men after Odei picked up two bookings in the space of a minute for dissent.

To shore things up in midfield after the red card, Hinshelwood swapped Ollie Pearce with Michael Klass.

There were chances for Robinson and Wheeler that followed, but both were well saved by Covolan in net.

Joe Rye made a fantastic tackle to deny De-Graft on 88 minutes, but the forward had the last laugh, firing in at the near post shortly before the final whistle.

It was a day to forget for the Rebels in Kent who never really get going from the get-go.

It’s back home and back to Cup action next for Worthing as they welcome Whitehawk to Woodside in another all-Sussex Emirates FA Cup tie.