National League South Tue 5 September Sussex Transport Community Stadium
  • Pearce (68')
  • Aguiar (79')
Welling Utd

Worthing began the game with intent and after a messy start to the game with both sides struggling to get the ball down, in the 16th minute the first big chance of the game came.

Bailey Smith on his home debut struck from inside the box which lead to a desperate clearance off the line from the Welling defender.

The home crowd erupted with anger in the 25th minute after the Wing’s Cameron Green wrestled Smith to the ground off the ball; seeing the full-back revive a yellow card.

The away side’s biggest threat in the first half came from Worthing’s former winger: Lewis White, whose energy and quick feet led to a few half-chances.

However, neither side were able to find the back of the net as the side’s went in at halftime level at 0-0.

The opening of the second half saw the Mackerel Men struggle for quality in the final third and after a sloppy back pass from the Rebel’s left flank in the 62nd minute Welling almost took the lead.

Jepthe Tanga stole in ahead of Roco Rees and diverted the ball towards goal, fortunately Rees was alert and able to stand up well; denying the Wings from taking the lead.

Main-man Ollie Pearce back from illness came on to help Worthing’s pursuit of the opener and his impact was instant.

Smith’s trickery bamboozled the helpless Green who could do nothing but concede a penalty in the 68th minute. Pearce stepped up and finished with aplomb; sending the Worthing faithful into ecstasy.

Smith was at it again in the 78th minute helping Hinshelwood’s men double their lead. The young winger’s left Green for dead with his bursting pace, before he cut back and played a great ball to the edge of the box for Ricky Aguiar to smash home in style – straight into the top corner!

Smith almost made it three in injury time, however he wasn’t able to round of his evening with what would’ve been a deserved goal.

In the end, Worthing held onto their two goal lead with ease making it back-to-back home league victories for the first time this season; ending the Wing’s unbeaten run in the process.