National League South Sat 21 October Sussex Transport Community Stadium
  • Pearce (86')
  • Worthington (8')
  • Williams (90+8')

The Rebels were looking to cap off a fantastic week at the club after two cup wins against Bath City and Crawley Town, and the extension of Adam Hinshelwood’s contract, as they welcomed league-leaders Yeovil Town to the Sussex Transport Community Stadium.

Hinshelwood made full use of his squad again, with another six changes from the Sussex Transport Senior Cup win over Crawley Town.

The Reds made a bright start but it was Matthew Worthington, against Worthing, who broke the deadlock for Yeovil Town eight minutes in. Roco Rees parried Rhys Murphy’s shot straight into the path of Worthington who prodded home from close range.

The Rebels continued to have plenty of the ball despite going a goal down but were lacking in end product in the first half. Ricky Aguiar and Joan Luque tried their luck from range but never troubled Joe Day in the Glovers’ net.

Worthington nearly doubled his tally on the brink of half time when his shot was deflected by Joe Rye into the side netting.

The best chance of the half for the Reds came right at the very end when Aguiar’s deep cross found its way to Luque. The Spaniard lined up his shot but dragged it narrowly wide of the near post and the Glovers maintained their slender lead into the break.

Worthing came out in the second half without such an intent to go long and instead, remaining composed in possession to work openings.

The visitors worked the first real opportunity of the second, though. It opened up for Worthington around the hour mark on the edge of the box. He fired his shot at goal but Rees made a fantastic stop to deny him, parrying it onto the post and wide.

Chances for Frank Nouble and Jordan Young followed, before Hinshelwood made his first change of the afternoon, replacing Jake Robinson with Bailey Smith.

Less than five minutes later, Hinshelwood made a double change as Liam Vincent and Jordan Adeyemi came on to replace Odei Martin Sorondo and Luque.

With some fifteen minutes left on the clock, Yeovil created a couple of chances. First, Rye made an important challenge to deny Nouble a shot at goal. As the Glovers recycled possession, it opened up for Young who hit his effort just over.

The Reds then began to rally with ten minutes to go. First, Aguiar tried his luck with an audacious attempt from distance which had keeper Day scrambling to his left but the shot was just wide of the post.

Then, Day’s blushes were saved when he spilled a cross into the feet of Adeyemi whose shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Pressure was mounting on the Yeovil goal and, as Aguiar delivered a cross into the box on 83 minutes, Joel Colbran was caught in the face by Jacob Whannell and Referee Dean Skipper pointed straight to the spot.

Ollie Pearce stepped up and blasted home his penalty to level things up late on.

Nine added minutes were signalled, and, in the 98th minute, Yeovil found a way to win it. It was Morgan Williams with a late header to hand the Glovers all three points.

Aguiar had a free-kick from around 25 yards with virtually the last kick of the game but Day parried wide and the visitors held on for all three points.

It’s late heartbreak for the Reds for the second league game running as league-leaders Yeovil extended their winning run to eight in all competitions.

Next up for the Rebels is a run of four away fixtures, starting with Hampton & Richmond on Tuesday night.