National League South Tue 20 February J Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium
Welling Utd
  • A. Grant (44')
  • R. Grant (59')
  • Fish (90+10', 90+11')
  • Pearce (66')

Both Fish’s goals came during a long period of injury time as his former side pushed for a leveller, finishing well from two swift counter attacks.

Anthony Grant gave the home side the advantage late in the first half before his namesake Reece doubled the lead just before the hour mark following another incisive counter attack.

Worthing rallied and reduced the arears thanks to Ollie Pearce’s inevitable goal from the penalty spot but despite huffing and puffing in the remaining minutes were unable to force an equaliser and were caught out in stoppage time.

Hinshelwood made two changes to the side that won comprehensively at Weymouth 72 hours earlier. Ollie Starkey was rewarded with a first league start of the season following some impressive cameo appearances, while Kane Wills returned to the starting eleven in place of Reuben Livesey Austin who dropped to the bench.

Loanee Tommy Willard came out of the squad owing to a hamstring injury, while Joe Rye was also left out as a precaution after coming through 75 minutes of his comeback from injury during Saturday’s win.

The first half was played a frenetic pace, although there wasn’t a great deal of quality on show with the game being played on a difficult surface.

Joe Felix did have a half chance inside the opening two minutes but shot straight at Reice Charles-Cook from a neat Dylan Fage cutback.

The hosts were working hard and forced Hinshelwood’s men into several errors as they looked to play out from the back and on one of those occasions it led to an opportunity for Fish but he slipped as he struck the ball and sliced it harmlessly wide.

The visitors were struggling to get anything going in the attacking third but went close in the 36th minute when a sharp effort by Pearce was repelled by Charles-Cook and Jack Wadham on the follow up scuffed his shot making it easy for the Wings defenders to clear.

The deadlock was broken late in the first half when Michael Klass was caught on the ball and eventually United captain Grant skipped past a few challenges before firing the ball low and hard beyond Ollie Wright.

Into the second half and Starkey had a great opportunity following a well worked corner the ball fell invitingly to the youngster just inside the area but he dragged his shot wide of the near post.

The hosts doubled their lead moments later when an incisive break ended with Reece Grant running onto a low cross and giving Wright no chance from eight yards out.

The visitors were afforded a way back into the game just after the hour mark when Fage was brought down by Charles-Cook and Pearce made no mistake from the spot to claim his 33rd league goal of the season.

Hinshelwood immediately made a double substitution to try and build on his side’s momentum, introducing Greg Luer and Brad Dolaghan and they continued to press with Danny Cashman forcing an excellent save from Charles-Cook with twenty minutes on the clock.

The hosts were reduced to ten with five minutes to play when their skipper Grant was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Worthing threw everything at it in the latter stages and will wonder how they didn’t grab an equaliser in the 89th minute when a Wadham corner delivered right under Charles-Cook’s crossbar was met by a Worthing head from point blank range but somehow the ball stayed out and was smuggled clear.

Into eleven minutes of stoppage time Pearce forced another save from the Wings’ stopper with a well struck free-kick.

As the away side piled men forward space opened up on the break as Fish struck twice to rubber stamp the win and inflict a first defeat in eight league games on the Rebels.