National League South Sat 17 February Bob Lucas Stadium
  • Linton (80')
  • Cashman (8')
  • Pearce (43', 59', 85')

The Rebels arrived in Dorset targeting a fifth successive away win and looking to extend their impressive unbeaten run that has seen them climb to second place in the league table. The Terras, placed 14th, had won four in a row before their defeat against high-flying Chelmsford City last time out.

Adam Hinshelwood was forced into one change from his side that started in the crazy 6-4 win over Dover Athletic last week. With Josh Jeffries out following his nasty injury, new loan signing (Josh’s Southampton teammate) Ollie Wright debuted between the sticks. Joe Rye replaced Finlay Chadwick on the bench.

The Rebels got to grips with the wet and bobbly conditions pretty quickly at the Bob Lucas Stadium and found themselves in front inside 10 minutes through Danny Cashman. Reuben Livesey-Austin found acres of space on the left edge of the box and tried his luck with a low effort that went straight into the path of Cashman who diverted it in.

The key moment in the match came shortly after, though, as the aforementioned Livesy-Austin was given his marching orders by referee Nicholas Dunn for a foul on Teddy Howe, leaving the Rebels with 75 minutes to defend their lead with ten men. Adam Hinshelwood made an immediate change as Dylan Fage was sacrificed for Rye who made his return after nearly a month out.

Weymouth began to rally around the half-hour mark, creating chance after chance. Leo Hamblin thought he’d got his side back level after heading in, but it was ruled out for offside.

Moments later, Hamblin almost turned provider as he fired a low cross across the face of goal that agonisingly evaded everyone waiting to tap it in. The Terras recycled possession and crossed into skipper Tom Bearwish who saw his shot saved well by debutant Wright.

Hinshelwood turned to the experienced head of Kane Wills from the bench as Worthing looked to weather the storm. The midfielder replaced Michael Klass in a straight swap.

Weather the storm is what Worthing did, and they were rewarded for their efforts before the conclusion of the first half. Felix broke away on the left flank before slotting in Tommy Willard who beat keeper Gerard Benfield in the race to the ball. Benfield caught Willard as he reached for the ball, bringing down the Worthing forward and forcing the referee to point to the spot. It was Pearce, of course, who stepped up from 12 yards and dispatched his penalty down the middle for his 30th league goal of the season and the ninth match in succession that he’d found the back of the net.

It was perfectly poised heading into the second half and Worthing were made to weather another early storm from the Terras who had chances through Bearwish and Hamblin in the first 15 minutes.

But, it was the Rebels who were rewarded for their hard graft once more. Olu Durojaiye failed to deal with a long ball in his direction and in turn, helped Pearce through on goal. With the keeper off his line, Pearce chipped it over his head to give the ten-man Rebels an unlikely three-goal lead!

On 65 minutes, substitute Ezio Touray had a golden chance to get the Terras back into the game. Hamblin crossed low from the byline and it looked easier to score than miss, but his shot rattled the back stanchion of the goal. Howe had a big chance moments later as he was sent through on the right, but after taking his time, he struck the post.

There was a second Worthing red card on 69 minutes, this time for boss Hinshelwood. It can only be assumed that this was given for dissent.

The Rebels made their final change soon after as Ollie Starkey replaced Willard.

Weymouth eventually got their goal on 80 minutes when the lively Hamblin delivered another low cross which was tapped in by Malachi Linton at the far post.

But, the Rebels dug deep once more and Pearce completed a quite magnificent hat trick against all odds for the ten-man Rebels. Cashman slotted him through and the striker had time to pick his head up before placing it into the bottom left corner for his 32nd league goal in just 31 games.

Into added time, the Reds were reduced to nine men as captain Colbran picked up a second yellow. But the Rebels held on for a remarkable victory with nine men at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Chaotic, but wonderful. An incredible afternoon of football in Weymouth, and the Rebels have now won four consecutive matches in the National League South. It’s a midweek trip to Welling next for the Reds as they look to continue their fine run.