National League South Sat 10 February Sussex Transport Community Stadium
  • Fage (20')
  • Colbran (25')
  • Pearce (45+8', 51', 61', 71')
  • Wilkinson (45+11', 77')
  • Baptiste (45+16')
  • Hatcher (90+1')

Four goals from talisman and man-of-the-match Ollie Pearce were supplemented by goals from new signing Dylan Fage and Joel Colbran to help the Rebels keep within 10 points of first place Yeovil Town, having played a game more.

The Mackerel Men dominated much of the game and after missing a couple of good chances, including two from Tommy Willard, were able to strike first in the 21st Minute after Willard’s lobbed through ball found its way to Fage who was able to cleverly loop the ball over the onrushing Daniel Jinadu, his second goal for the club in his second home appearance.

Five minutes later and the lead was doubled as Dover failed to clear a corner and the impressive Michael Klass’s shot was spilled out to Joel Colbran who shot squirmed in underneath Jinadu for his second league goal of the season.

Despite the promising performance from the hosts the game took a bleak turn in the 34th minute when Southampton loanee Jeffries went down following a nasty collision with The White’s striker Nick Dembele, leaving the keeper needing hospital treatment with no confirmation on the extent of the injury.

After a lengthy stoppage play was resumed and Worthing got back to business through their marksman Pearce as he registered his 26th league goal of the season with a deflected effort, eight minutes into stoppage time to give his side a three-goal lead.

In a bizarre five-minute spell, the Rebels looked in danger of throwing the game away as substitute keeper Rocco Rees let in a George Wilkinson free kick at his near post before goal scorer Fage gave away a sloppy penalty in the 60th minute which was duly converted by Luke Baptiste to stun the home support.

Second place Worthing managed to get themselves back on track six minutes into the second half as the dependable Pearce was able to net his second deflected effort of the game following a well worked short corner.

And all doubt was put to bed in the 60th minute after midfielder Klass was caught with a nasty challenge from Roman Charles-Cook on the edge of the Dover area, and Pearce was able to dispatch the resulting penalty for his hattrick whilst sending the home support into full singing voice.

Dover’s misery was further compounded as Pearce was able to sweep in a cutback and secure his fourth and final goal of the game meaning he now has 29 goals in 30 league games for the Rebels.

Wilkinson was able to grab his second and one back for the league’s bottom side in the 77th minute before Archie Hatcher got the away side’s fourth goal in the 91st minute, heading into an empty after some poor defending from Worthing.

Worthing travel to Weymouth on Saturday 17th February whilst Dover host Dartford on the same date after their game with Truro was postponed.

Attendance: 1581