National League South Tue 12 March Sussex Transport Community Stadium
  • Felix (41')
  • Dolaghan (73')
  • Haigh (27', 56')
  • Clark (43')

After their disappointng defeat to Taunton last time out the Rebels were looking to bounce back quickly as they welcomed a Farnborough side that had won back-to-back games.

Interim Manager Aarran Racine made three changes to the eleven, with Jack Spong dropping to the bench while Dylan Fage and Cameron Tutt missed out on a place in the squad. Replacing the trio were Kane Wills, Reuben Livesey-Austin and Greg Luer.

It was a quiet and cagey start to the contest with neither side creating all too much in the early stages. The Rebels were drawn into an early change as Luer was forced off after picking up a knock, his replacement was Jake Robinson.

The game then burst into life! A frantic 5-10 minute spell saw the woodwork (at both ends) struck three times before the deadlock was eventually broken.

First it was the visiting captain, Ollie Robinson who’s looping header landed on the top right corner of the goal frame before Worthing went inches away at the other end through Ollie Pearce. After a crowd-lifting bit of play from Joe Felix, winning the ball back in his own half before darting down the right and picking out the talisman with a low cross, Pearce’s strike arrowed towards goal but rebounded of the upright.

Moments later, it was Jack Wadham who rattled the woodwork as he searched for his third goal in as many games. His left-footed shot had beaten keeper Jack Turner, but left the crossbar shaking.

Then, against the run of play, Farnborough took the lead when Joe Haigh converted from point-blank range. Keeper Toby Bull made a good save from the initial cross, not that he knew much about it, but the ball fell straight to the feet of Haigh who was there to prod home.

Worthing’s response to going behind was a poor one, but they themselves found a way through against the run of play, hitting the Yellows on the break. The fast-paced counter attack ended with Robinson feeding through Felix who slotted it under the keeper for just his third goal in Worthing colours.

After trying desperately to get back into the game, the Rebels were behind again soon after. Worthing were masters of their own downfall playing out from the back and were picked off easily by the visitors’ high press. The ball was then played into Taylor Clark who finished brilliantly into the bottom left corner and the Rebels were behind at the break.

Into the second half, Worthing had a chance to get back on level terms on 54 minutes when they broke away at pace. Toby Bull picked out Felix with a pinpoint pass to the right flank before the lively winger found Danny Cashman in space to his left but the midfielder’s shot was deflected wide for a corner.

But, despite Worthing’s early pressure, it was Farnborough who extended their lead before the hour mark. The Yellows found space on the left and crossed into Haigh who took his time before dispatching it past Bull for his brace.

The Rebels’ response this time was a good one and Pearce thought he’d got his side back in it on 61 minutes after a fine move. But, as he wheeled away in celebration, he noticed the raised flag of the assistant referee for offside.

Livesey-Austin was forced off five minutes later after diving into a fifty-fifty that he won, but caught the late challenge straight on his knee. He was swapped with Spong.

Worthing then hit the woodwork for the third time on the night! Pearce beat his man on the byline and drove into the box from the right before unleashing a left-footed shot that grazed the bar on its way over.

Racine then made his final change and it was an inspired one. 19-year-old Brad Dolaghan came on for just his third league appearance and he got the goal to get his side back in the contest just two minutes later. Boro keeper Turner made a glaring error as he went to gather a relatively easy ball. Dolaghan was there to capitalise, finishing cooly for his first Worthing goal.

The woodwork kept Farnborough safe again on 83 minutes as Dolaghan almost bagged a second. He looked to lob the keeper having been played in behind by Felix, but his shot had just too much on it as it struck the bar.

Worthing huffed and puffed but in added time it was Farnborough who created the best chance. Haigh broke away from his own half with the Rebels stranded in forward areas. Bull made himself big to make the save to deny the striker his hattrick.

Before the full time whistle, Guy Hollis was shown a second yellow for pulling back Dolghan who beat him with a nice bit of skill. The resulting free-kick evaded everyone and the full time whistle was blown shortly after.

A disappointing result for the Rebels, for whom it’s now one win in five as they look over their shoulders in the promotion battle. Next up is an away trip to Chippenham on Saturday.