National League South Sat 7 January The Crucial Environmental Stadium
  • Pearce (19')
  • White (38', 63')
Welling Utd
  • Maloney (69')
  • Nkrumah (85')

Worthing took the lead in the 15th minute after some scintillating one-touch football down the right flank. The Rebels worked the ball out wide precisely to Lewis White, whose dangerous cross caused havoc in the Welling penalty area. Keeper: Myles Roberts, fumbled and Ollie Pearce pounced; claiming his seventh league goal of the season.

Immediately after taking the lead, Worthing resumed their pressure with confidence flowing throughout the team.

First, Kane Wills had an effort brilliantly blocked by the Welling defence, before Adam Hinshelwood’s side really clicked into gear. Pearce beautifully left Davide Rodari’s pass – allowing it to find White. The winger rounded Roberts superbly, but unfortunately wasn’t able to tuck home a second!

The visitors found their feet again in the 25th minute as Dan Bowry had to come up with a crucial sliding-block to prevent a leveller from Taylor Maloney.

United began to create get a foot-hold in the follow 10’ minutes in their pursuit of an equaliser; forcing The Mackerel Men to defend deep.

Worthing stood firm and were rewarded for their defending in the 38th minute. Wills showed his class, with a glorious defence-splitting pass, that sent White through to double the lead in style!

On the stroke of half-time, Harrison Male was called upon as he made a big save to preserve Worthing’s lead heading into the break.

At the start of the second half, Roberts was the goalkeeper called upon to keep the score at 2-0.

The Welling keeper agonisingly denied Callum Kealy from close range twice in the 53rd and 54th minute, as The Rebels searched for a third.

Despite continued heroics in net from Roberts, The Rebels eventually would find a third in the 63rd minute.

White scored his second, as he was on call to finish in front of the Worthing faithful, after rebounding home from Kealy and Rodari’s initial attempts.

The Wings were offered a lifeline in the 69th minute, as Worthing gave away a penalty for the sixth time in successive league matches.

Male denied Liam Vincent last time out away at Hampton & Richmond, however he could do nothing to stop Maloney who cooly pulled one back for the away side.

Minutes later, The Rebels thought they had re-extended their advantage. Substitute: Ibby Akanbi struck home inside the area.

Unfortunately for Akanbi, the linesman’s flag denied him as Pearce was adjudged to have been offside and interfering with play on the goal-line.

It wasn’t to be for the substitute who met a fantastic free-kick from Pearce in the 81st minute, only to be denied by the bar!

Welling capitalised on the missed opportunities; pulling a second back in the 85th minute through Daniel Nkurumah.

Despite a tense end to a tight affaire, which saw Taylor Curran sent off for United – Worthing held on; claiming a big three points and back-to-back home victories in the process; climbing to fifth in the table.