FAWNL Division One South East Sun 3 September Sussex Transport Community Stadium
  • Quayle (40')
  • Bath (47', 77', 83', 91')
  • Makowska (16')

By Gareth Nicholas

Hayley Bridge came into the team as Izzy Glass-Oliver started on the bench, where she was joined by the returning Lauren Dolbear, in the only changes to the squad that won in North Somerset.

In fact, it was Bridge, on the right, who got the ball rolling when she found Bath in a central position. Some twisting and turning later precluded a pass to Sophie Humphrey, on the left, allowing the fleet-footed forward to take on Mel Porter who tripped her in the penalty area for an early spot-kick. Quayle took it and went left, only for goalkeeper Lucia Delves to read her mind and make the save.

However, another set-piece situation soon offered the Reds the chance to put that setback behind them. This time, Bath was fouled on the edge of the ‘d’ but Delves produced a tremendous flying stop to keep out Rachel Palmers’ free-kick.

Despite those positive signs though, it would be the Bucks-based travellers who seized the initiative.

A high ball into the box by Niamh Euman caused a breakdown in communication between custodian Abi Dolding and Dani Rowe, resulting in Becki Bloor just getting to the ball first and leaving Natalia Makowska to poke home for 1-0.

Worthing had their work cut-out but a determined Bridge regained possession in midfield before releasing Chloe Winchester. Delves out smartly to prevent Quayle potentially profiting.

United went in search of a second, requiring an initial (Emma) Blakely block from Gemma Fraser’s shot, with Bloor recycling the ball in an instant and Fraser creating room for a follow-up that went over the crossbar.

Play quickly switched to the other end, where ‘Winch’ played a neat one-two with Rowe, who had rolled Captain Emma Delves to return the favour. Sister Lucia once again frustrating the hosts, at her near post.

Although the netminder would be left cursing the opposite upright five minutes before the break.

Palmer set Quayle racing clear on the left wing via a quickly-taken throw-in in front of the home dugout. ‘Super Sammy’ gaining a modicum of revenge for her earlier blemish by slotting beyond Delves (L) at her front-stick.

The equaliser turning out to be the meat in an Humphrey/Young sandwich. Sophie almost picking out the far side of the net after she’d reached the byline on the same flank. Superseded in first-half stoppages by Katie whistling a trademark long-ranger marginally wide.

Becs Bell was introduced for Winchester during the interval, on an energy-sapping afternoon but it was Bridge who presented Bath with an opportunity to roll her marker and bury a low effort into the bottom corner, in the opening seconds of the second period.

Responding to the setback within a matter of moments, Bloor, on the outskirts of the centre circle, slid a perfect through ball for Sasha Smith who sashayed away a possible leveller; dragging her attempt narrowly the wrong side of Dolding’s right-hand upright.

A Bath brace was unfortunately ruled out by the player herself when an offside Becki tapped into an empty net, following Quayle’s lobbing of L.Delves who had been caught stranded outside the eighteen yard box.

Approaching the hour mark, excellent hold-up work by Bath saw her return to sender, though Palmer could only hit the side netting.

Despite enjoying the better of the second-half exchanges, Chesham were still a threat; never more so than when Tash Smith’s free-kick cannoned back off the crossbar, 25-30 yards out.

Rapidly met with Bath doing likewise, courtesy of Skipper E.Delves getting a flicked touch on Bell’s right wing delivery and the underside of said apparatus keeping out BB. Quayle arriving on que to head over the rebound.

There was no room for error in a move ignited by Young’s superb long ball to Humphrey, eventually knocked inside to Palmer and dispatched, first time, by Bath to see a two-goal advantage opened up, on sixty-seven minutes.

Seeking her hat-trick, Bath pulled a tempting cross by Bell wide of the target, not long afterwards,once it had dropped nicely for her.

Humphrey’s spreading out to Becs had got things going to begin with and substitute Niamh Andersson had a similar effect in receiving Bath’s pass on the edge of the box, then slipping in Bell who simply lacked the power to extend L.Delves further.

Once again though, Andersson would feature at the commencement of a passage of play that saw her locate the recently introduced Emily Linscer, who proceeded to bend a beauty of ball into the path of Bath, who turned Emma Bebbington one way, then the other before leaving L.Delves rooted to the spot. A long distance finish completing a well-deserved treble in an unerring fashion.

Replacement Hana Hetherington became the latest to be bamboozled by Becki, thanks to the in-from striker getting the better of her prior to shooting early but not catching out L.Delves.

More magnificence then led to Linscer using the outside of her right boot to see Bath break the backline, bear down on goal and finish off a fourth in added time.

Several additional minutes had ticked by when Fraser swivelled to fire just past the post but it was Worthing who got off the mark on a day when the visitor’s yellow, sunshine-inspired kit was actually matched by the weather.