FA Cup Round 1 Sat 4 November Impact Arena
Alfreton Town
  • Digie (87')
  • Newall (73')

Adam Hinshelwood showed two changes to his side that beat Bath City in the league last week and had the bonus of naming nine substitutes in his squad for the Emirates FA Cup First Round clash.

Joe Rye returned at the back for the Rebels, replacing Glen Rea who was missing from the 20-strong squad. While Bailey Smith replaced Joan Luque in attack.

It was an intriguing start to the contest at Impact Arena with Worthing getting accustomed to the wet and skiddy conditions in the early stages. Harrison Perritt had the first chance of the game for the hosts as he struck a low shot from distance which Roco Rees comfortably held.

The Rebels began to settle some ten minutes in and Ricky Aguiar had the first couple of chances. First, he worked one for himself after picking the ball up on the left flank before working his way to the edge of the box and unleashing a curling effort which was just inches wide from the top right corner.

Two minutes later saw a well-worked Worthing move, with Joel Colbran floating the ball up to Jake Robinson who headed down to Aguiar. Aguiar took on the shot first time and again, was just wide of the upright with his attempt.

The contrasting styles of play made for an entertaining, but goalless first half. Alfreton happy to soak up pressure and looking to go long, over the top of the Rebels to create opportunities.

The next of those came on 25 minutes when Jordan Thewlis capitalised on a mistake at the back. He got himself behind Colbran and Joe Felix to win the ball, before taking it around Rees but dragged his shot wide under pressure. The hosts claimed that Thewlis had his heels clipped, but the referee saw nothing doing.

Despite the lack of chances, it made for an entertaining contest at Impact Arena with the conditions and contrasting styles making for a good watch.

The hosts almost found themselves in front in additional time in the first half as Thewlis broke away from a Worthing corner before sliding in Nathan Newall who had his shot saved by Rees at the near post, and it remained goalless into the interval.

The intriguing battle continued into the second half and the Rebels created the first chance in the second period. Felix got to the byline and delivered a low cross into the feet of Robinson who couldn’t get a clean connection on his shot as it rolled into the arms of George Willis.

At the other end, some ten minutes later, Jake Day worked an opportunity for himself on the edge of the box but his shot deflected wide for a corner.

There was a switch up top for the Rebels on 58 minutes, as Ollie Pearce replaced Robinson.

There were half-chances for both sides in the next ten minutes but nothing to trouble either keeper until Newall broke the deadlock on 73 minutes.

Space opened up for him some 25 yards out and Newall unleashed a fantastic strike which dipped and swerved into the top left corner.

Hinshelwood made a double change immediately after, with Greg Luer and Danny Cashman replacing Smith and Michael Klass.

The hosts remained in the ascendancy and a chance fell to Thewlis at the far post on 86 minutes. His header was deflected wide off the back of Felix for a corner.

It was from that corner that Kennedy Digie doubled the hosts’ lead. Stood almost on top of Rees, Digie couldn’t miss his header from close range after a pinpoint corner from the right-hand side.

Worthing’s final changes were made straight after as Joan Luque and Jesse Starkey replaced Odei Martin Sorondo and Felix.

Worthing huffed and puffed but they couldn’t find a way through the Alfreton defence which had remained firm throughout, and Hinshelwood’s side bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup.

Next up for the Rebels is a return to league action as they welcome Havant & Waterlooville to the Sussex Transport Community Stadium on Tuesday night.