Sussex Senior Cup Round 3 Tue 10 January Sussex County FA
  • Meekums (9')
  • Kealy (54')
  • Pearce (88', 90')

Reece Meekums got Worthing’s evening off to the perfect start in the ninth minute, as he swept home underneath the arms of a frustrated Alieu Secka – who is dual signed with Worthing and Lancing.

Secka may have been disappointed with himself with not preventing the opener, however he more than made up for it in the 23rd minute; denying Ibby Akanbi with a heroic double save.

In the latter stages of the opening 45’, Lancing limited The Mackerel Men to few big chances, as they grew into the game themselves.

Meekums did have a huge opportunity on the stroke of half-time, which he was unable to convert; scuffing his effort wide.

That chances summed up, a half that lacked quality from both sides. However, Worthing will have been the happier of the two, as they headed into half-time a goal to the good.

Early in the second half, The Rebels demonstrated their National League South pedigree. Callum Kealy diverted home from close-range in the 55th minute; following sharp thinking from the wise Kane Wills, who picked out Worthing’s top scorer to perfection – with a quickly taken free-kick.

Akanbi thought he had made it three when he finally beat Secka in the 57th minute. Unfortunately for the forward, he was denied by the linesman’s offside flag.

Worthing continued to dominate the game, fixing Secka into a number of smart stops, but were given a few warning themselves from the hosts by substitute Faris Khallouqi.

The lively midfielder committed to a couple of strong challenges. First on Dan Bowry and then Josh Chambers, Khallouqi’s pressure sparked life into Dean Cox’s side around the 70th minute, as Harrison Male was called into making a couple of saves.

Despite this, Hinshelwood’s men did well to override Lancing’s threat, adding a third goal for themselves in the 88th minute.

Worthing’s own: Ollie Pearce was the goal scorer, as he emphatically met Chambers’ cut back, before celebrating with a delighted Rebels faithful behind the goal.

In stoppage time, Pearce showed his confidence; applying a cool finish as he lobbed Secka to make it four and round off a comfortable evening for The Rebels.